Friday, January 15, 2016

Christ and Marriage

I'm back. It's been several years since I've used this blog. It's not that I haven't had anything post-worthy, it's just that I am terrible at keeping up with things sometimes.

Since I last was on here, a lot has changed in my life. A new marriage, a new job (perhaps soon to be another), and a baby on the way, just to name a few things. But the point of my post today has nothing to do with my life status; it merely is a hope to be an encouragement and perhaps a lesson to those reading...

Recently, during a disagreement with my wife (yes, those happen), she made a point that had me thinking harder than I had in a while - and if any of you know me, deep/over thinking is one of my specialties. The point was, "Is there any chance this is a spiritual attack?" (The details of the issue are not important, but I should clarify that in this case it was something I was frustrated about). Of course, I didn't want to admit in the moment that my argument was anything less than correct, (pride has a way of taking over), but I had to step back for a while and consider her question. I did for days in fact. I came to a few realizations:

First, she was right.

Second, I was blowing things out of proportion.

Third, this was an intriguing example of Paul's comment, loosely referenced from Ephesians 5, regarding the parallel between earthly marriage and Christ's relationship to the church, meaning those who are saved.

Now to expand a little.

1. My wife has a way of gently pointing out flaws in my thinking, by making me think even harder about whatever is my concern at the moment. I both love her for it and hate the mental pain that often follows. But the best part is she always points my thoughts to Christ, which is why it hurts sometimes. It's often easy to convince yourself you are right against another person, but there's no honest way to beat God. It's merely a loss waiting to happen.

2. I realized something critical after talking with my wife. Something I knew for a long time, but didn't realize until now, mostly because I didn't want to admit to her or even myself it was true: I was led to think things about her motives that just were not possible. I knew they were not possible, yet it took days (yes, literal days I'm sad to admit) to argue with myself to the point of accepting the truth - I was allowing myself to be deceived about her. This is not the first time, either. I get so worked up over an issue that I let my mind wander and start assigning motives to actions that just simply aren't there. I'm sure at least a few of you can relate to that.
The thing I realized though, and only after she challenged me, is this: perhaps Satan, in his ever-present desire to separate us from each other, and more importantly Christ, is the one fueling these lies in my head. I mean, who else would be so bent on creating chaos where there is none, trying to convince me that my wife, who loves and cares for me in such consistently selfless ways, would knowingly and intentionally do something to hurt or frustrate me? I will point out here that in this case as well as past times, I have considered things being out of line based on her character. It just hasn't occurred to me that it is more likely a spiritual attack. Somehow I keep forgetting that this is a regular part of the Christian walk...
Anyways, to get back on track, even though I knew in my heart that these lies were, well...lies, I still was inclined to give them half a thought (at times maybe more than half), and admittedly they initially affected my attitude toward the situation. But here's the thing that I could keep coming back to, to help resolve the issue, and keep this in mind for my next point - these lies were clearly not consistent with her character! Even though it took a decent amount of time to sort through my thoughts, the thing (through prayer I should add) that eventually won the argument in my head has been who I know her to be. Take chocolate for example. It will always be chocolate. You might eat it and try to convince yourself that it is something else, but at the end of the day it will always be what it always has been: chocolate. Lame example..I know.. but it get's the point across, and hey, who doesn't appreciate chocolate?

3. This leads nicely into my final point, (not as much the chocolate specifically) and really the point that I was most impacted by out of all of this: how this earthly marital situation points so closely to our relationship with Christ. You see, Satan isn't just bent on ruining individual lives, or separating married lives. He is bent first and foremost on destroying relationships with our Savior. Day in and day out he will find any vice he can to pull us just slightly away enough, so he can slip in the doubt. He did it from day one with Eve by convincing her that God merely wanted to keep the "god-likeness" to himself, and wanted her to be left in the dark. He told Eve a lie to get her to disobey a clear command from her Master. He does it every day at every opportunity he gets with us, to convince us that God doesn't love us - because what loving God would allow death of loved ones, or cancer, or financial ruin? Or that God doesn't pay attention to us - why else could it be that we pray for years and years for reconciliation in a family, or maybe a better president, but nothing appears to happen? Or maybe even so far as that God doesn't exist - that human life is no more valuable than that of a dandelion, we just decompose once we die so who cares if we kill thousands of unborn babies every single day, or murder a classroom of students, or even ourselves out of depression and loneliness? Satan's entire job description centers around convincing us that God is not who He says He is. But the great news for us is this: no matter what challenge or lie comes our way, God has given us a name for Himself that speaks far louder than any words we could try to contain Him with. He has called Himself "I AM". What a powerful name! As Max Lucado point out in his book "Traveling Light",
"Do you know anyone who goes around saying, 'I am'? Neither do I. When we say 'I am,' we always add another word. 'I am happy,' 'I am sad,' 'I am strong,' 'I am Max.' God, however, starkly states, 'I AM' and adds nothing else."
God never changes. Ever. Satan wants to convince us He doesn't love us? God reassures us "I am love, and I love you." (1 John 4:8-10) Satan says God doesn't care about us? God says "Cast all your cares upon me, because I care for you." (1 Peter 5:7, Matthew 11:28) Every lie Satan has about God, we can turn to the Bible, God's written word, to dispute.

My point in all of this is simply this: don't let Satan get between you and the truth. I challenge every one of you reading this, and myself, if you have a dispute against God or even a brother or sister in Christ, don't let emotion take over. Don't let Satan take over. Let the truth conquer all.

No comments:

Post a Comment