Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Good Times

The last couple of days were pretty amazing. Now, unfortunately my "amazing" days very often have something to do with a large amount of money spent, and this is no exception.
On Monday I bought used, but practically brand new snow tires for my car. Hankook Winter iPike W409
The picture is not of mine, but still the same kind as mine. They look even more impressive in real life, and I can't wait to get them installed and have a 12 inch blizzard! Retail is around $76 per tire, but I paid $185 for all four, coming to $46.25 per tire. Sears will install them for $12.50 each, bringing the total per tire to $58.75, which is still far less than buying new.
I also went on a whim and bought a large metal trunk for $15. Dimensions are 16" x 16.5" x 32", and I think the metal is brass. It has a brass colored under color, which was attempted to be covered by black spray paint. I rather like the effect, sort of an antique finish. I can lock it with a padlock, so now I can keep dangerous items out of little children's way without trying to just hide things...that never works.
Tuesday I had a random finding as well. A guy was selling a box of around 50 lighters, Prometheus brand, and ranging in worth from $35-$95. I bought the whole box for $10. Now, a slight problem is they seem to have been unused for so long it will take some effort to get them all working again, but I already have 6 in fine working order, and I figure when I sell them anything I make over $10 is a profit. I hope to get almost all of them working, and use the money to finalize payments on my car. If everything goes as I hope, I could get over $2,000 for the lot of them, but that depends on getting them all to work.
These were all purchased on Craigslist, and I payed cash for all of them.
Oh, and one final thing. My car now has a new DieHard battery. The old battery was quite bad, and the car would be dead within literally minutes of turning it off, even with no accessories running at all. Now, it runs beautifully, and (tho I had no idea batteries affected this) performance is much higher (I'm guessing the estimate will be around 20mpg, usually it's around 18), the transmission has stopped jolting finally, and the car just feels healthier. Oh, and I also gave it brand new brake rotors and calipers on both back wheels, the old ones were seized and causing problems.
And finally, a non-expensive amazingness. Sunday, of course, I got to help with leading worship by playing my electric guitar. That was fun:D And I got to see friends. That is always a good thing. And I had coffee, but that wasn't so amazing. Just kinda happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment